Age Life Balance Introduction

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. Rita Pay says:

I’m happy with my current life, as happy as I’ve ever been, if not the happiest. I’ve been luckier than I deserve with regard to health, education, finances, family etc, and have no major aspirations for the future (other than to be able to maintain current lifestyle) and no major regrets about the past (other than hurting other people, not doing any particularly interesting things when younger, not having any particular skills or expertise etc !). I also think I’ve made some reasonable decisions which have led me to where I am now. I didn’t plan my future when I was younger, and I’m not sure I would advice younger people to do this now. If too prescriptive it could lead to disappointment. However, it might be useful to imagine yourself as an older person looking back at your life, and ask what you could do now to make sure that looking back would provide pleasure rather than pain.

• Agenista Admin says:

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I’m sure that your active lifestyle has played a part in your good fortune.

2. Sara says:

I’m so thrilled for you that your vision for educating us about maximising the quality of our lives in older age has now got a life of its own! I’m looking forward to being further informed on the things I already have some awareness of and also on the things I didn’t even realise I should be considering! I wish you every success with your blog.

3. Marc says:

Never really been one to think to far into the future, well not my own. I feel healthier and fitter than I’ve ever been in my life. I think turning 40 a few years ago and having a young family to support makes to you think a little more about looking after yourself.

Having a stressful job and family life doesn’t leave much time for yourself, but these things make it vitally important to ensure you make the time. To look after the family and support them, you need to look after yourself. That said I do miss my Saturday mornings in bed 😀

• Agenista Admin says:

Thanks Marc. I’m sure your family will benefit from a fitter, healthier you too – now and in the future. Keep up the good work you have started.

4. Richard says:

Great work, good luck with the Blog! We took a huge leap of faith and massively re-adjusted our work-life balance a few years ago with absolutely no regrets. With so much future ahead of us (hopefully!), increasingly we can see the importance of ageing ‘well’ becoming a much bigger focus. All tips and inspiration welcome!

• Agenista Admin says:

Thanks Richard – I admire the big step you guys took in buying the station and it seems to be working well for you. I know you still work hard, but I’m sure it’s so much more rewarding working for yourselves.

5. Christine Sansby says:

Your introduction outlines my own dreams and expectations of old age. It is a pleasure to read.
    I too have always been a pragmatic and positive personality, always enjoying life and the company of my friends and family as often as possible.
    Over the last couple of years I have not made the time or had the energy to spend with the people I love. I channeled what little energy I had into my work, ignoring the need to understand ‘why’ this had become the norm.
    I remember not wanting to burden my friends and family and carry on regardless, making the odd comment to my nearest and dearest “I feel so old”…
    I missed my old life but was accepting at 49 this was nature’s course and to stop moaning!!
    In my mind I would make time for the things that I find fulfilling, exercise, nights out, weekends away, holidays. But I was beginning to ACCEPT my dream of an active and exciting old age was not to be.
    I crashed!!
    It turns out I have been ill and too busy to listen to my body. I have been isolated for 8 months now and unable to return to work. With nothing but time on my hands to re-evaluate my future, finances and the frailty of the body.
    Luckily a week ago I was diagnosed with the root cause of my conditions and it seems there should be a quick fix for my diseases after all.
    So in my usual pragmatic and positive manner I can begin to dream of a long and exciting old age again.
    I suppose the moral of my little story is, DONT ACCEPT you are getting old. LISTEN to your body it could be trying to tell you something like “you do not have a proper work life balance, do something about it before you get ill”. Seek help and confide in your friends and peers if you are unable to confide in your family.
    I look forward to hearing more from you and your readers x

• Agenista Admin says:

Thanks for the encouragement and sharing your story and great advice too. It’s really nice to see you back at work on your phased return – well done Christine!

6. Becky Skelhon says:

Well done! Such interesting subject matter. I look forward to reading more about it.

7. Jennifer Whitehill says:

This is fabulous – brings together so much of what so many of us are thinking and feeling as we approach new and exciting stages in our lives. Will be great to share thoughts and ideas around like-minded people who wish to make the most of everything, and to feel support for those times when things inevitably get tougher – hopefully for short periods only. LOVING IT!!